This loco was delivered new on 2/12/1943 to the Ministry of Supply; its history is largely unknown until the 1960’s, when it was at the Mersey River Board’s Great Sankey Depot, near Warrington.
It was acquired by the MRT from this depot in 1976. In 1983 the loco acquired a new owner and a new lease of life with extensive restoration work and a face lift to the paint work. The loco then became very popular with the railway operating staff because of its ease of starting and ease of operating. It was used extensively until a forced retirement with engine problems. It has since received a replacement engine.