This is a fine example of motor rail’s prolific 20/28HP design. This loco was ordered by the war office and was ex-works on 5/9/1941. It was stored by the war office until the 1970’s, when it was sold to a contractor, Z&W Wade based in Whaley bridge.
It seems that they required the loco as a back-up to a Ruston which they owned on a contract at a sewage works. In the event, the loco was not needed, and Wade placed the loco on loan to the long Eaton light railway, near Derby, where it arrived in april 1974. This railway, also known as the Wilsthorpe light railway, closed in 1976. At the time the loco was under care of the Narrow Gauge Locomotive Society. It was transferred into the custodianship of the MRT, arriving on 22/6/1977